Theory Into Practice - Preparatory Task

Re-evaluating my design context blog and finding source material I have found interesting and which relate to my own creative interests, and which are worthy of further investigation.

1. History of type
The lecture on the history of type is something which as a graphic design student, I feel I should be interested in, but also something which actually excites me. I know I want to look further into this in the future and explore a broader range of the history. 

Source Material: 
Lecture notes

2. Graphic design in the public domain
I have become quite interested in how graphic design appears throughout the public domain, and how it often goes unnoticed. 

Source Material: 
Street sign

3. Defining myself
The seminar on defining ourselves and helped me begin to think more of how graphic design relates to me personally and this will hopefully help me begin to see how my own work will appear in context. 

Source Material: 
Task from seminar
1. Where do you consider home?
- Although I was born in England and lived here until I was 13, I consider Denmark to be my home.
2. What languages do you speak?
- English and Danish, some French and Spanish, and can understand Swedish and Norwegian.
3. What are your top 3 most inspirational life experiences?
- Working in a pre school in a township in South Africa in 2007
- Moving to Denmark
- Choosing to study art & design
4. Where is your favourite place in the world?
- I love Copenhagen, and I consider it to be home, but my favourite place has to be Khayelitsha, South Africa.
5. If you could eat anything right now, what would it be?
- Salad
6. What are your three best personality traits?
- Listener
- Patient
- Understanding
7. What are your three worst personality traits?
- Perfectionist
- Lack of self confidence
- Worrier 
8. What are the three things you are most interested in?
- Design
- Language
- Culture and anthropology
9. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
- Cape Town
10. What are three things you absolutely hate?
- Cockiness
- Baked beans
- Baileys Irish Cream

4. Wayfinding
I have begun to develop a serious interest in the wayfinding and signage side of graphic design and two of my biggest inspirations in this field are the two variations of the New York City subway map by Massimo Vignelli and Triboro.

Source Material: 
Massimo Vignelli subway map
 Triboro subway map

5. Manifesto
Manifestos are something which keep me motivated, and my absolute favourite that isn't my own is Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Change".

Source Material:
Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Change"

6. Modernism
I became really quite interested in the modernism period through studying it in lectures and different seminars, in particular how it related to graphic design. 

Source Material:
Lecture Notes


7. Photography and photographic processes
I have always had a keen interest in photography and photographic processes, and also how to bring them into graphic design, but through the context of practice sessions, this has just been strengthened. 

Source Material:
The work of Man Ray
The work of Susan Derges

8. High vs. Low culture
This is a topic I had given a little bit of thought before the context of practice module, but after the lecture and writing my essay on it, it is definitely something I want to explore even further. 

Source Material:
Lecture notes


9. Danish design scene
I plan on in the future returning to Denmark and I have always been inspired by the Danish design scene, yet through several context of practice sessions, such as the Blog Marry Avoid one, my interest in it has developed even further.

Source Material:
NR2154 - my favourite Danish design team


http://www.nr2154.com/

10. My criteria for aesthetic judgement
The seminar on creating criteria for aesthetic judgement really made me think about an aspect of contextual work that I hadn't given much thought to before. I now consider it more often when looking at contextual work, and I definitely think it is an interesting aspect of design to explore further.

Source Material:
My own set of criteria


Thursday 1 March 2012 by Andrea Hannah Cooper
Categories: , | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply